Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ozark Greenways Adventure Race '08


Tommy & I
Brandon Winders, Tommy and I crossing the finish line
Checking in as a team for the last time.
ELATED to be finished!
Since race info. (distances, order of events, etc.) were not released until race morning...here is what the 10 hours 35 minutes and approx 45 miles of torture included :
8 mile run

6 mile canoe

5.5 mile biking

orienteering (about 7 miles)

1.1 mile technical trail run

8.9 mile technical biking (followed by "fording" or crossing the waist deep river with our bikes...brother Tommy carried both his and mine. What a gentlemen!)

8 mile road bike

Although I admit I became Mrs. Negativity during the last stretch of biking (by far my least favorite thing probably as a result of not having been on a bike in over 3 years) I can honestly say I'd do it again...despite every muscle in my body screaming and the bruises, cuts, and scrapes all over my legs (a nice welcome to summer short season by the way). Thanks to my team members (Tommy, Brandon & Dave) for encouraging me along the way. Those KC police officers are amazingly positive and supportive people and it really turned out to be a good time. (For those that understand the feeling of accomplishment from surviving such torment)
I think we came in about 51st place out of 77 teams. Here are a few pictures. I'll add more later.

Oh, and I didn't see a single snake or a tick on me...but then I had enough pesticide on my body to ward off anything within a 5 mile radius!

1 comment:

The Votaw Family said...

I want to be just like you... but without all the hard work- ha. You are amazing! You wear me out just reading about it- hehe