Friday, September 11, 2009

Flashback Friday-9/11

Today marks the 8 year anniversary of one of the most tragic days in American history. Exactly 8 years ago on this day, the World Trade Center Towers were struck by planes hijacked by terrorist forces. Taking with them 2,752 victims of people trapped inside the building and rescue workers on the ground trying to save others, even if it meant their lives. This fateful day brought out the best of people all over the nation. People helping other people just because it was the right thing to do. Some rescue workers went so far as to die at ground zero to try and save just one more. Just one more dad, mother, brother, or sister they had to save. Driven by courage, these workers ran into the falling buildings foregoing the fact that some of them risked never stepping outside of them again.

Here's my flashback moment of that fateful day:

I was teaching the morning of September 11th at Commack High School in Commack, New York just 30 minutes from downtown Manhattan. I remember finishing up my morning block class and heading for the Social Studies department office. When I walked in, the TV was on and some of my colleagues were standing there watching in silence...not the typical idol chatter often seen. I asked about what I was seeing on the screen as smoke was billowing out of the first tower of the World Trade Center. I listened and heard that it was believed that a small commuter plane had crashed into the tower...and not a second later, I viewed a second plane, a commercial airliner, crash into the second tower. It was one of those split second moments in your life where your eyes suddenly widen and you can't find air to breath....a moment so impacting you know you can never erase from your memory. Knowing that lives were snuffed out at that very moment and knowing, even more frighteningly, that it was no accident but rather an evident act of terrorism against innocent American lives. We were told to return to our classes and not to divulge too much information to the students as many in our student population had parents working downtown...as Long Island in general is a commuting community. The philosophy was that we get these kids with their families before unleashing the reality of what had occurred (and unfortunately, many students did lose parents and family members). Jason drove home early that afternoon on the Long Island Expressway from Huntington and witnessed the smoke and ash filling the sky. We were unable to contact family as the phone lines were jammed for almost two days. I don't believe I have ever really experienced anything in my life that touched me and affected me in such an emotionally raw manner...I cried for days...and days...and even now, it brings tears to my eyes. So today is a day to reflect on the tragic day, remember those victims who lost their lives, the heroism of ordinary people, and to especially remember to attend to what matters most in our lives.
EACH DAY IS A BLESSING
Taken July, 2001 on the Circle Line Tour when my parents visited. We stayed at the Embassy Suites across from the World Trade Center and used the subway access under the Towers daily.


Photos taken at Ground Zero when Jason and I were able to get to lower Manhattan 6 weeks after in early December...a very sobering experience.



No comments: