Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A late Mother's Day post




In my opinion...the real work of motherhood started for me when my kids' reasoning ability kicked in. When it was no longer about merely keeping them alive and sustaining them from day to day (or nap to nap in my case).

Wait…you mean..I…have to…ya know…teach them? Correct them? I have to raise them to be morally responsible, compassionate citizens of this great big world... who contribute to society in a positive way?

*gulp*

I love being with my kids. I love doing the fun things with them. Going to the Zoo, playing at the park, watching movies. I love to do the activity of life with my kids. But the day to day training that’s imperative to their development? Not my favorite part of mothering.

In fact, the day to day instruction has always been a bit intimidating to me. The business of training them to be respectful and obedient. It’s really hard! Give me a fussy newborn over an insolent young child any day of the week.

Can I get an Amen?

You see, I like to sprint through life. But guess what? It’s hard to sprint when there are three little ones whose legs aren’t as long as yours. My metaphor is getting a little rough, but notice how I can tie running into this. Stay with me…

Although it's always been difficult for me to redirect my future-oriented focus, I’ve spent the better part of the last few months trying to slow down. Live in the moment. Embrace and soak in this time of life. I tend to equate down time with idleness. "Oh, the kids are entertaining themselves...I can get laundry folded, or unload dishes". Instead, I've made a concerted effort to get outside with them...push them on the swings, go for a short walk with them. Just be with them. Sometimes it’s simply sitting and reading a book to the kids in the middle of the day. It’s good for them and, you know what? It’s good for me.

I’m finally beginning to really enjoy the art of motherhood. The hard part. I’m even getting excited about it. I know, right? It’s about time. I’m looking forward to and excited about the process of training them. I look forward to praying for them and being with them. I’m so excited for this summer to just be.

I know it will be tiring and exhausting and hard. It always is. It is, and always will be, my REAL job. But I love the hard. I love the tiring. I’m learning to love the process. I’m learning to sit, to be still, to play Barbies, to have imaginary tea parties, to read books, to live every day life. I’m finally enjoying that part of motherhood a little more. Fewer schedules, more free time, more playtime. I’m slowing down my pace and finally giving my kids a chance to catch up.

This is a great place to be.

No comments: