Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thunderstorms

One of the reasons I love the Midwest so much is because of the spring and summer thunderstorms. I'm typing this as I hear the roll of thunder in the background and see the occasional flicker of lightening bounce off the computer monitor from the window behind me. Now...I'm not so fond of tornado's that often accompany severe thunderstorm watches and warnings (and neither is my poor sister-in-law who has lost a lot of sleep due to the numerous watches we have been under lately....and I don't really blame her considering they had a trampoline go through the front window of their home last May).

I remember the two years we lived in New York and never experiencing thunderstorms the way we do here in the Missouri. I love the exhilarating energy, the ominous dark clouds in the distance, and the smell in the air when the thunderstorm approaches. I love the soft rumble heard in the distance indicating the impending rain. I love thunderstorms at night for the visual sensation they provide. I love it when lightening is closely followed by thunder which makes the whole house shake. I love the sound of the torrential rain or pellets of hail on the roof, followed by the soft rhythm of the rain drops and the return of hushed rumbles and intermittent lightening as the storm moves away...

Thunderstorms amaze me! I love seeing the awesome power of storms. It’s just another reminder of God’s awesome power.

No comments: