Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wild Kingdom

We did not sign up for wild kingdom when we moved here, but apparently, that's what we got. I purchased some bird seed for a feeder attached to our back deck...thinking, "wouldn't it be nice for the boys to see the birds up close?" I filled the feeder (with Jonathan's help) and placed the remaining bag of seed in the corner of the deck. The next morning, I wake to find the bag moved from the corner of the deck against the house to the middle of the deck and partially spilled out with little "chew holes" in it. My flower pots full of gernaiums on the deck were also dug into. I pick it up and carefully sweep up the remaining birdseed and put it back in the bag. The next morning, same thing...only this time I look up and see that the roof of the bird feeder is off and ALL of the birdseed in it is gone. Again, my flower pots have been dug into. I take the birdseed and put it in the garage...thinking "I am not inviting unknown critters to dine on my deck and destroy my flowers". The following night, Jason jumps out of bed around 2 a.m. hearing growling, screeching, and screaming noises and and looks out our bedroom window down to the deck...he says, "there are raccoons on our deck!" Snakes, possum, deer, rabbits and now raccoons can be added to the list of critters to frequent our backyard...
and no....I did not take this picture...but it's creepy, isn't it?

No comments: