Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


My first as a mother of three...and what did I want more than anything in the world? To sleep in. My wish was granted...and at around 9 a.m., Jonathan peered his head through the bedroom door, came in (followed by Nicholas, Katherine and Daddy) and he began singing our little morning song to the tune of Happy Birthday. Only his was "Good morning mommy, good morning mommy, good morning Mooooooooooom-meeeeeeee, Good morning to you!" (A song sung to me when I was a little girl that I now sing to all my kids individually when they get up in the morning). I was given a card (scribbled on of course), hugs, kisses, a long stem rose and a pedi. Then some jumping and frolicking on the bed until heads bumped and tears began. :)

This day isn't all about me as a mom celebrating my third Mother's Day, but about my mom too. I don't often enough get the chance to thank her for what a wonderful mother she was growing up and what a wonderful mom she continues to be in adulthood. As a mom now, I have a better understanding and perspective of what it is moms do. I reflect in amazement at how she survived with four so close in age...and reflect on the tremendous amount of patience she had. If only I had a fraction of her patience with my own three. She sacrificed so much for all four of her children...and there was never any doubt that we were her first priority. Always. She never indulged in spending money on herself..it was shoes, clothes, braces, activities, etc. for her own children. She spent countless hours helping often ungrateful children study for exam's, write papers, or learn algebra. I can't recall one single athletic event (even in college if the drive wasn't too far) that my parents weren't there for (rain or shine). She was always my biggest fan. And in adulthood, she's always the voice of wisdom...always the ear to listen, always the first to volunteer (eagerly) to take her grandchildren when needed (the most incredible grandma too)....always my mom. Thanks mom! I really do love and appreciate you...and really do aim to be as good a mother as you were and are. I hope to have the same close relationship with my kids into adulthood. Love you!

No comments: