Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chicago Marathon Do-Over?


Crash & burn...two words that describe my performance at the WARM Chicago Marathon.


I just didn't feel it. The first half was a 1:43 (which is exactly where I wanted to be pace-wise), but even before I got there, It was clear that it was not my day. Despite my disappointing time, the experience was, BY FAR, the most amazing race experience ever. Fifty thousand people registered, 39 thousand started and just over 36 thousand finished. I was 8,586th . Really, I can't complain that I ran faster than 27 thousand people...even if a man running and juggling passed me at mile 13. To be a part of something so LARGE and experience a running tour to see the entire city is something I will never forget. There had to be no less that 2 million spectators. There was not a single point in the entire 26.2 miles where no crowds cheering and supporting were present. While struggling to find the strength to keep running, the amazing volunteers energized me with their encouraging words, high fives and motivating signs! Thank you volunteers, you ROCK!!!! Chicago is a BEAUTIFUL city. I will definitely be back for another go at it!

So what do I mean by do-over? I'm stubborn...and I tend to set my sights on a goal and don't let up until I conquer it. In this case, a Boston Marathon qualification. Sooooo....I am registered to run another marathon in 6 weeks. The Gobbler Grind in Overland Park. Call me crazy. Everyone else does!


In Milleniumm Park. We had lunch at the outdoor Park Grill, the last day it was to be open before winter.


View from the balcony of our hotel on Michigan Ave.


The Marathon Expo Training partner, Amy, and I
My biggest fan! 5:30 am...up before the sun to head to Grant Park. It was insane trying to get into our seeded corrals. 13.1 miles-halfway mark (my biggest fan took this picture) After...ouch. I vomited a half a dozen times behind some rose bushes in Grant Park...then later on the corner of Michigan Ave next to the Chicago Institute of Art. It was just that bad! After some Portillos the night before (with an old friend) and Pizano's that afternoon, we headed to Navy Pier before flying home.

I found this picture on the Chicago Tribune Newspaper website marathon gallery. What are the odds? Ha!


http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chicagomarathon/chi-101010-chicago-marathon-pictures,0,909751.photogallery


3 comments:

Perry said...

Glad you had a good experience. It was pretty hot out there.

And don't sweat it. I'm a veteran of marathons and I do all of them juggling (or joggling as it's called). I practice a lot.

Congratulations!

Perry, 44
Just your average joggler

The Votaw Family said...

You are awesome! and I'm so proud of you! You are Nuts! but hopefully we'll be able to be there to cheer you on this time!
You ran 26 miles more than I could ever dream of!

Emily said...

How cool that you made the Chicago Tribune Newspaper website picture! I must say, you look ALOT better than the lady ahead of you to the right (your left). :) Loved all your Chicago pics! Good luck with your next marathon