Friday, January 15, 2010

A Tender Heart at a Tender Age


He's only four, but my little boy surprises me with his tender heart and comprehension of things...in ways I thought impossible of a boy of his age. Knowing as a parent what my child may be able to handle and grasp, I made the decision to discuss what has happened in Haiti on our car ride home from school the other day. I felt that involving my little one (so tender and sweet) in prayer before our Heavenly Father for those in Haiti; was important.

On our way home from school, I apprised him of the situation in the best way I knew how, keeping it as simple as possible by only explaining that an island off the coast of the United States had an earthquake that shook everything. The buildings and homes broke and many people were hurt and are now without food, water and doctors. I took time to say that we do not know why this has happened, but we know that God is in control and we needed pray to God to care for the people.

His response, "Mommy? I think we should pray for these people."

"Okay, honey. We will as soon as we get inside the house."

"No mommy. We need to pray now."

So I willingly crawled in the back of the van parked in the garage....lump in my throat...eyes misty and held his hand and Nicks hand and together we prayed:

  • That those who are hurt would get to see doctors and nurses and get the medicine and help they need.

  • That they would have enough food and water.

  • That they would not be scared but would somehow know how powerful God is.

  • For those that are helping to able to find all of the hurting people.

  • For those who do not know where all of their friends or family are. Pray that those that are lost would be found.

When we finished, he said, "Mommy...God really hears all those prayers? Even mine?"


Yes. Yes He does.

And what was Kate doing whilst this sweet and tender moment was occurring you might ask?

She was scavenging the van floor and contentedly snacking on stale discarded bits of fruitsnacks, french fries and goldfish crackers.

1 comment:

3StinkyBoysAndMe said...

What a sweet and thoughtful little boy. Reichen (Ry-Kin) just turned 3 and he doesn't seem to 'get it,' yet. I guess a lot changes between the year 3 and 4, huh?