Thursday, August 6, 2009

Susan G. Komen~in honor of Aunt Lydia


The Kansas City Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
is Sunday and even though I've slacked off the last couple of weeks and don't consider myself to be in 5K racing shape...this race isn't about me, or my time, or my finish for that matter. This race is about remembering my Aunt Lydia who, although she didn't specifically have breast cancer, died of ovarian cancer she was unable to fight due to other medical conditions.
This race is in remembrance of this amazing woman to whom I give credit in shaping me into the woman I am today.
She taught me:
  • That family ALWAYS comes first.
  • That you must give more than you receive.
  • That what makes a woman truly super is not whether she breaks down, but whether she gets up again.
  • That kindness matters, and that we must leave things better for the people who follow us.
  • That character is doing what is right when no one is looking, and that the good things in life are meant to be shared. (and countless other amazing things)

She was a truly inspiring person and she still remains my greatest hero in life.

No comments: