Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Skinny~

Last Sunday I ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure where 27,000 people participated. I arrived there early to get my race number and chip & had my phone with me as I was trying to hook up with a friend (27,000 people). No luck. I raced my phone back to my car and had a sudden need to go to the bathroom AGAIN...so bad it was reminicent of those last few months of pregnancy where you were just sure you were going to pee your pants (27,000 people). Port-a-potties had obscene lines so I had no choice but to run into Union Station and again, was reminded: 27,000 people. I had no choice but to wait...and wait...and wait. By the time I was finished, it was two minutes from til the start and the start line was a block away. As I rushed through crowds of....27,000 people....I heard the gun go off. It was a very crowded & slow start, and a very hilly & hot course. My legs were screaming...but what an amazing sight to behold. 27,000 people all present with the common purpose & goal of raising funds to fight breast cancer.

Monday I traveled to the University of Missouri for Staff Development for my new role as instructor for the Missouri Virtual Instruction Program. I feel honored to be a part of such an incredible staff. Online education has very quickly moved from strictly the realm of highter education to the K-12 population. Missouri is the only state in our nation to provide state-funded seats to take courses through MoVIP. This provides incredible opportunities for many students who have varying needs for taking a strictly online course at no cost as opposed to a traditional brick and mortar school setting. This position is exciting for many reasons, however, the number one reason I am excited comes from my "family first" mentality. This position offers such flexibility with our family situation (me working from home)...affording more opportunity to be with my children, yet still exercise my passion for education. Every new venture is mixed with anticipation and little anxiety...but I'm ready to dive in...

No comments: