Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A very big deal!


She woke up on Sunday and decided it was the day...the day to take that final transition from our baby girl to our little girl. We had been actively "pre-potty training" for some time, but this gal wasn't quite getting it. I've cleaned up my fair share of accidents on the floor in the last month or so. When they are ready, they are ready.


For the last three days, Kate has worn panties instead of diapers. For the last three days, she has "done her business" in the potty and had no accidents! Cause for loud rejoicing, right? So why am I kinda disheartened? We are both very proud of her. Really. This is a big achievement, a milestone, a coming-of-age moment in her sweet little lifetime. And it's great to see those wide eyes and beaming smile of pride when she says, "Mommy, I did it! I pee-peed (or poo pooed) in 'da potty!" and (with little finger wagging and head shaking back and forth) "No pee pee in my panieeees. I a big girl!" I waved good-bye to poo-poo the other day as it swirled down the drain. And I was surprisingly sincere about it.


There is still a small part of me that is saddened by this achievement. A part that equates her being in diapers to her being my last little baby. A part that still wants her to drink from a sippy cup, still wants help putting on her shoes, still wants me to rock and cuddle her.


Jason and I have been looking forward to this moment for a while now....to move past the baby stage with all three of our children. I've never understood parents who can't seem to let their kids grow up. My baby's a big girl, yet here I am, sad that my little girl is growing up. I almost feel like whining that I'll wake up one day soon and she'll be driving or going off to college or getting married.


I think I'll concentrate on cheering for pee-pee right now.

1 comment:

GretaLouise and JackBoyer said...

I wonder if after all is said and done with raising our babies we will look back and say that the hardest part was absolutely letting them grow up....not the sleepless nights, baby proofing, or tantrum patrol. I relate to everything you said....it is so bittersweet. You almost feel your heart break a little knowing how fleeting this time is. I am with you on this - Celebrate the peepee for now! Something that is so insignificant is so significant. It is a big deal to all of us! Yay Kate!