Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm destined to be one of those moms...

He hears me say it all the time:
  • "Jonathan, since when did you get so big!?!"
  • "Jonathan....stop growing up on me!" (This works great when I tell him to stop eating so much...that I don't want him to continue to grow so fast. He cleans his plate to this reverse psychology trick)
  • "Jonathan....you keep growing like this, you're going to be taller than both mommy and daddy very soon."
  • "Jonathan...don't get so big I can't cuddle you anymore!"

Truth is...I really don't want him growing so quickly.


He grins every time I say these things and always tells me,
"...but mommy? I want to grow and be be big like you and daddy"
To which I respond, "Oh, okay. You can grow!" ...followed with a big smile and crushing hug.

I will be the mom who gets weepy at every major milestone in his life (and even the minor one's). This little guy surprises me every day. His new Montessori Preschool has been a huge blessing. His teacher, Ms. Josie, clearly works with him one-on-one quite often. She mentioned last week about getting him started with reading...and tonight, he came home with his first little scholastic reader....and actually read the whole thing to me....sounding out each word as he went. I was immediately misty and he noticed. He appeared concerned until I told him they were happy tears and I was really proud of him.

He responded with a big toothy grin. And said he deserved a cookie.

No comments: