Saturday, October 18, 2008

I'm ALIVE!

Although my back is killing me, the muscles in my legs are still in knots, and my feet are blistered as I type this...I have to admit that I would totally do it all over again. I ran the KC Marathon in 2002 and it was NOTHING like the experience of running this year. The weather was amazing, the course was amazing and the volunteers and spectators were amazing. Although I ran it 10 minutes slower than I did in 2002, I was still surprised to run a 3:47 (8:39 per mile pace) considering I was really only hoping for sneaking in under four hours. Yes, I missed qualifying for Boston by 7 minutes...but 7 minutes is a lot and I don't think it was in the realm of possibility for me at all anyway. Maybe next time... I have to send a shout out to my own little cheering section! My parents stayed at Crown Center and stood in the cold in the dark, early in the morning to see me off. Although I couldn't find them in the madness of over 8,000 participants, I did see them at the two mile mark. And when the 26.2 miles was over and I crossed the finish line, I had Jason and the kids waiting along with my parents (my most loyal fans over the many years I have run), my brother and sister-in-law, nephew Daniel, Jason's Aunt Dea and Uncle Al, Jason's cousin, and Eric and wife Ashli and family. It was so thoughtful of so many to join in support amid the chaos of downtown. THANK YOU ALL. You will never know how much it meant to have you all there.







1 comment:

GretaLouise and JackBoyer said...

Oh my gosh! I am so SO proud! You did such an awesome job!! I was thinking of you - wow - what a challenge, and you did it!